First: Take a listen to the podcast!
What is the difference between PAD and the A-F bundle?
- The A-F bundle is a bundle developed by Vanderbilt of care designed to operationalize the SCCM PAD guidelines. It is a new way to think about and organize the guidelines
Why is it important?
- It has been shown to:
- Reduce ICU length of stay
- It is one of the few things that has been shown to reduce mortality = people LIVE MORE FREQUENTLY
- Reduces incidence of post-intensive care syndrome (PICS)
History of sedatives in the ICU
- Early vents: not capable of synchronizing breaths with patient, deeper sedation needed to be compliant
- Newer short acting agents and analgesics have hit the market making deeper sedation unnecessary
So, what does A-F bundle stand for?